The Glenn Thompson Memorial 9/11 Sponsorship
The Glenn Thompson Memorial 9/11 Sponsorship was established by Mrs. Kai Hernandez to honor the
memory of her late husband, Glenn Thompson, who was killed during the attack on the World Trade Center,
and to commemorate all of the lives lost on September 11th, 2001.
Mrs. Hernandez has said that she was so touched, impressed, and appreciative of all who responded to
9/11 that she wanted to give something back. As she watched the dedicated searchers who worked
tirelessly, she was especially drawn to the responding search canines and their handlers who put
themselves at risk in the days, weeks, and months thereafter.
In 2007, Mrs. Hernandez partnered with the National Search Dog Alliance to create the Glenn Thompson
Memorial 9/11 Sponsorship. This sponsorship graciously awards up to $1,000 to offset all or part of the
purchase of a new puppy or mature dog to be used for search and rescue and today continues to help to
ensure that there are qualified canine teams whenever the need arises. The National Search Dog Alliance
is grateful to Mrs. Hernandez for her generous and ongoing support of the K-9 Search and Rescue Community.
The application period is open between June 1st and August 15th; applications
received outside of the open period will not be accepted.
All Applicants must:
Click Here to Download Application
- Be a member of the National Search Dog Alliance and agree to maintain active membership with NSDA throughout the working life of the dog.
- Select a dog or puppy of a breed that is appropriate and generally accepted as suitable for search and rescue.
- Agree to notify the National Search Dog Alliance of the progress in selecting a dog and once the dog is selected, provide an invoice
with the vendors / breeders contact information.
- Agree to train the dog for Area Search and/or Disaster.
- Agree to seek field certification with the National Search Dog Alliance in at least one discipline within two (2) years of receiving the dog.
- Agree to provide annual updates no later than August 15th to the National Search Dog Alliance to be included in outreach materials.
- Agree that they will notify the National Search Dog Alliance if they stop participating in search and rescue within four (4) years of receiving the dog.
- Agree to adhere to the breeder's contract, if any.
- Agree that the breeder and/or sponsor has the right to request that the dog and/or any funds be returned upon a failure to adhere to any of the sponsorship guidelines.